Chinese Cashew nut cookies
- Cashew butter 80g
- Plain flour 220g
- Butter 130g(cut into small bits)
- Brown sugar 100g
- Pinch of sea salt
- Baking powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking soda 1/4 teaspoon
- Crushed roast cashew nuts 35g
- One egg beaten
- Vanilla bean paste 1/2 teaspoon
- around 30 whole raw cashew nuts
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a mixing bowl. Add the butter, then rub together until the texture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add pinch of sea salt and the sugar into the flour mixture, mix well.
- Make a well in the centre, add the crushed cashew nuts, cashew butter, half the egg and the vanilla bean paste.
- Then knead gently until dough comes together. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking tray.
- After 30 minutes, divide the dough into small bits, around 22g each, you will get approx 30 cookies. Roll each into a ball and flatten to about ¼ inch thick. Place them on the parchment paper. Leave some space between each cookie.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Press one raw cashew nut in the middle of each cookie, brush the top of the cookies and cashew nuts with the remaining egg.
- Baked for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.