Nian gao 年糕 Chinese New Year’s cake
Nian Gao with dark brown sugar, ginger and coconut milk. So this is VEGAN!
I use two foil containers ( 115x140x40mm)
Glutinous rice flour 260g
Rice flour 60g
Dark brown sugar 150g
Pinch of sea salt
Coconut milk 400ml
Vegetable oil 15ml
Minced ginger one tablespoon
1.Heat the sugar and coconut milk in a pan over medium low heat until sugar melted.
2. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl
3. Pour the sugar and coconut milk into the flour mixture, stir until smooth.
4. Add the oil and ginger into the flour mixture.
5. Pour the flour mixture into the trays and steam over medium high heat for 35-40 minutes.
6. When cool refrigerate overnight until firm.
7. Unmould and slice up.
8. Drizzle little oil in a pan fry using medium low heat until golden and soft.(both sides)