The Ultimate Flourless Chocolate Roulade
I learned to make this roulade from Mary Berry’s website, I have made a few changes because I am always a bit rebellious.
- 175g of dark chocolate of your choice, melted
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 120g of sugar
- 30g of raw cacao powder
- A few drops of white vinegar
- A pinch of sea salt
- 300ml of double cream and a table spoon of vodka vanilla
- Icing sugar, to dust.
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Place a sheet of greaseproof paper in a swiss roll tin(13″ x 9″)
- Add the sea salt and 30g of the sugar in the melted chocolate, then egg yolks. Mix until combined
- Whisk the egg whites for a few seconds, add a few drops of white vinegar, then gradually adding the rest of the sugar. Continue whipping to stiff peaks.
- Fold one third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then quickly and gently mix the rest together.
- Sift the raw cacao powder into the mixture, lightly fold it in.
- Pour the mixture in the tin and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, leave to cool in tin. Cover with a dry tea towel.
- Whip the cream until thick, add a table spoon of vodka vanilla. Whip for a few more seconds.
- Turn the roulade out on to a greaseproof paper, peel off the backing paper, spread the cream evenly on and roll it up.
- Chill for a couple of hours and ready to serve.