Orange chiffon cake
A super fluffy chiffon cake perfect with a cuppa tea. No baking powder required!
- 6 large eggs separated
- Zest of an orange
- 100g of orange juice
- 60g of vegetable oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 20g of potato flour
- 90g of plain flour
- 100g of sugar
- A few drops of white vinegar
Please support Dragonmama by buying your cake tin using the following link. Thanks!
- Preheat (fan) oven to 160C. Prepare a 8-in tube pan, line the bottom of pan with greaseproof paper but leave the pan ungreased.
- Add the orange zest, 100g of orange juice, pinch of salt, 20g of sugar and 60g of vegetable oil in a bowl. Whisk gently until combine. Then add in the egg yolks, mix well.
- Combine the potato and plain flour together. Sift the flour into the egg yolk mixture.
- In a bigger bowl whisk the egg whites for a short moment then add a few drops of vinegar, then whisk for a few more seconds.
- Add in the sugar (80g) in a few batches, whisk the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg white foam into egg yolk batter in 3 batches until fully combined.
- Pour batter into ungreased tube pan. Tap the pan a few times on worktop to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160C for 15 minutes. Then reduce to 150C and bake for further 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, tap the cake pan a few times on the worktop to get rid of the hot air and let it cool up side down on the rack.
- When cool run a bamboo stick around the side of the pan and centre core, push the cake out and peel off the paper at the bottom.